Nicaragua Managua North Mission
January 2015 ~ June 2016

Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Hey everyone! I hope you all had a super fantastic week and a great New Years! My new years was interesting and one I will never forget!

The New Years tradition here in Nicaragua is to burn "El Viejo" at midnight to represent the old year past and the new year coming. The Viejo looks like a scarecrow kind of, seated in a chair and on new years eve everyone sets out their Viejo and at midnight soaks it in gasoline and burns it...sounds pretty fun to me but those types of things aren't aloud in the mission. I think next year though I  will keep the Nicaraguan  tradition going in good old Happy Valley and make my own Viejo and burn it! Haha! Don't worry mom the flames shouldn't be to big! Anyways since my companion and I were asleep by 10:30 on new years we set the alarm for 12 midnight so we could at least tell eachother happy new year! The alarm went off and we walked over like zombies to eachother...hugged and then decided to look out our front door to see if the neighbors were burning their Viejo! They were and it was actually super cool! Down the entire street you just saw balls of fire and heard fire works everywhere! New Years is a pretty big event here!

This week we have a baptism coming up and then in the next couple weeks we will finally marry and baptize this super cute famly that we have! I am so excited for them! All in all it is going to be a great week full of laughs, sweat and success! I hope you all have a great week! 

Hermana Dickey

No comments:

Post a Comment