Nicaragua Managua North Mission
January 2015 ~ June 2016

Monday, March 9, 2015

Wow! I am so white!!

Hola Familia! This has been a very interesting week! I am learning a lot about the people and about the mission and it´s a little overwhelming but it´s fun! It is true, I live in a home with a tin roof that is the loudest thing in the world when it´s raining, windy, you name it! The people here are so nice though and super welcoming! My Spanish has gotten so much better since I have been here which I am so grateful for because I would be so lost if I didn´t at least understand a little bit! The food is good but people weren´t lying when they say you have gallo pinto for every meal! Literally rice and beans all day every day and usually coke or juice to drink. It gets re4ally cold at night up here on the mountain so that I kinda stinks and it rains a lot so by the time i get back to my house at night I am totally drenched...its awesome though! We have a member who lives about 2 min away from us who cooks lunch for us every day. Her name is Blancita and she is super nice. She does our laundry for us too! It´s really nice. We cook our own breakfast and dinner so I usually have like cereal for breakfast and dinner because by the time I get home at night I am way to tired to cook anything! ¨Part of my area is way up in the mountains and it´s called Sur Maria. It is seriously like hiking all day every day! We spend most of our time up there so It gets tiring but I love it! You do not wanna get stuck up there at night though because it is really dangerous. We always catch the bus back down before sunset because people specifically men get drunk and then bad things happen.Over all it´s pretty safe here. The men are not very respectful of women here though so I get called things throughout the day that I wish I didn´t understand, but unfortunately I do. The members here are really great but it is a little hard to get any of them to come with us to teach because most of them only got baptized to receive the welfare that the church provides. They are basically all less active! We walk so much and I have blisters so bad already. Mole skin is the best invention in the world! We get water delivered to us every day from Managua so we can take showers and have something to cook with, but you definitely don´t wanna drink it! Unfortunately that cold I got in the MTC turned into a sinus infection so I had to get some medication and I feel a lot better now!
             I love this place but I have never seen poverty this bad before. These people literally have nothing and when I say nothing, I mean nothing. The little kids run around naked and they are all super skinny. The other day we were up in Sur Maria during the day teaching a family and both of their little babies were crawling around through the trash on the dirt and just eating garbage because the family didn´t have food. I left that lesson the other day and I just started crying because it broke my heart to see that people have to live like this. The parents to all they can to feed their families and get them through...but it is so hard for them! I just want to do all I can to help these people by sharing the gospel with them. Yesterday we brought 2 families to church and they are really progressing. We have a baptism for a man named Ergenio this Saturday and the next Saturday we have one planned for a women named Monica! I am so excited because these people are ready! They have such strong spirits! I am doing my best at learning the language and learning how to be a good missionary! It is so hard here for me both physically and spiritually, but I can do it because I know I am not alone!
             I email at an internet cafe about 2 blocks from my house. It is next to a proparia( proparias are little shacks with snacks and drinks that you can buy). It is so crazy here how personal space does not exist. That is something I am going to have to get used to! On the buses sometimes if there aren´t seats you just have to stand and it is awful because people just climb over you and it´s so hard! It is not to hot up here in Matagalpa but it is so unbelievably hot in Managua! I was there today for a choir practice because we are having a general authority come in a couple weeks so we are singing! That is why I am emailing so late because I have been traveling all day! I love being here but man is it hard! I will get used to it but it´s hard adjusting to the fact the i live under a tin roof and have to water delivered to me everyday because there is nothing up here! It is so great though and I love seeing how the Gospel blessed peoples lives here! I love you all so much! I am so grateful for Bryce and the wonderful example that you are B! Always follow those promptings you get from the spirit. i love you guys with all my heart. I miss you a lot and I keep you in my prayers and in my thoughts all day long! Stay safe! I love you so much!

Love, Hermana Dickey

No comments:

Post a Comment