Nicaragua Managua North Mission
January 2015 ~ June 2016

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Hola Familia!

So this week has turned out to be really awesome. At first it was a little slow becuase a lot of our appointments were falling through. This week is the Semana Santa in Nicargua and its a huge deal. Because its easter all of the kids have been out of school and families have left to go to the beach or visit family in other places or whatever so a lot of the people we teach were out of town...which means lots and lots of contacting! I know contacting is important but I am so bad at it right now! Its hard to just start talking to people about the Gospel...in a different language sometimes, but it's cool! Never be afraid to share the Gospel with everyone! You never know what can happen. The Semana Santa in Nicaragua also happens to be the hottest week and in Matagalpa that's not good because the water shuts off when it gets really hot. So this whole week I have been showering with a bucket of water that I fill up every morning across the street in the Poso publico and I have had to boil a lot of water so that we have something to drink. I WILL NOT drink water that isn't filtered or boiled...Its not worth it man! All I have to say is that you never really know what you have and how lucky you are with the small and simple things until it's gone. It's ok though because My comp and I had a really awesome experience yeterday that made this whole week worth it! Yesterday we woke up at 6 like always to go running and then by 8 we left to go start passing by all of our investigators to try and get them to church. We started with the people we are teaching that live close to us because then we were going to take the Bus up to Lucidia and Sur Maria to visit our families at the top of the mountain. Originally my comp and I weren't going to take the bus, we were just gonna walk up to the top of the mountain becuase we didn't have much money left and we needed it to take a taxi to the church and on sundays the buses only run every hour instead of every 15 minutes and so we were gonna have to wait for about 20 minutes for the bus which doesn't seem like much time but for a missionary trying to pass by everyone before 2 pm...that's a lot. I really felt impressed that we should just take the bus though...I didn't know why but I felt like we might miss an opportunity at the bus stop or something like that. As we walk up to the bus stop there is only one women there sitting on a concrete block by herself waiting for the bus. I said Hello to her and asked her how she was doing and shook her hand. She didn't even look at me but answered and said "Good". I then continued to explain to her that we were missionaries for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day saints and I told her that we are here to help her, to help her feel Gods love for her and for her family. She looked up at me from the concrete block she was sitting on and just started sobbing. I felt bad becuase I thought maybe I said something bad in spanish or something like that. She stood up and gave me a huge hug and explained to me that her Husband has been in jail for a year because he stole money trying to buy their family food. He had gotten really sick while he was in jail because they don't take care of the people who are put in jail here...on saturday night her husband had passed away and the woman didn't know from what or how. She has a 6 year old daughter and a 9 year old son...and now they don't have a father and she is without her husband. She was at the bus stop going back to her house in Lucedia (where we were headed on foot) to get her skirt for the funeral because she had forgotten it. I am telling you right now...there is a reason why that woman forgot her skirt and there is a reason why I felt impressed to take the bus to Lucedia instead of walk. We road the bus with her and aksed her if we could come by sometime and share a message with her. Without hestitation she said yes and showed us where she lived. We are planning on going to her house tomorrow to teach her and her family and I can't wait! This experience was such a testimony builder for me because it really makes me realize even more how aware God is of His children and of His Missionaries. This is why I am here. Yes I am showering with a bucket everyday, getting eaten alive by misquitoes and getting aweful tan lines...but it's all worth it for moments like these. I know without a doubt in my mind that the Lord is mindful of us...all of us.

In other knews...I am doing really well. I am understanding the language more and more everyday and just trying to speak it as much as possible...even if it's wrong...that's the best way to progress is practice. I hope everyone is doing great and had a great spring break. I really miss being home for times like these and doiung fun things with my family, but I need to be here! I hope you all have a great week and enjoy conference! 

Hermana Dickey

No comments:

Post a Comment