Nicaragua Managua North Mission
January 2015 ~ June 2016

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Hola Familia!

Well this has been the best/stressfull weekend of my life! Saturday morning we got up early so my comp could skype with her family and then afterwards we went straight to the families house that we were going to marry and baptize that day to get them ready. I curled the little girl Julissa's hair and did the moms hair super pretty...because every girl wants to look good on her wedding day, no matter how poor you are or where the location is! After we got them ready they fed us lunch and then I left to skype my family! I'm not gonna lie...it was really great in the moment to talk to them and see their faces...but hanging up was like the experience of getting on the airplane all over again. My heart felt like it was in a billion pieces, but what picked it up and put it back together again was knowing that I had a family waiting to get baptized...together that night, and it all made it worth it! At 3 we went to our church building here in Matagalpa to decorate for the wedding. Hermana Drollinger and I had bought ballons, streemers and cake and decorated as pretty as we could. All I have to say is I have learned how to be creative ever since I have been in this dear country. The wedding started at 5 and as soon as the abogada announced "you may now kiss the bride" they cut the cake and we were on our way to getting the family baptized. We had everything ready to go. The font was filled, people were there to watch, the family was togther in white baptism clothes...everything was perfect...until Alan hijo got up to step into the water and we realized the Elder that has the keys to open the door to the baptism font left. Soooo we had to stall for a little while until he made his way back to the church to open the door. Hermana Drollinger and I improvised and sang a special musical number out of the spanish primary hymn book and then we sang some hymns with everyone, just to keep the spirit there. It actually was really awesome! Finally the elder arrived with the keys and we continued as planned. One by one the whole family stepped into the waters of baptism and became clean of their sins, renewed and happier than ever. It was one of the most amazing experiences I have had in my life! That day I got to skype with my family and yes it was hard to say goodbye again...but that night I got to help another family come closer to being a family for eternity. That's what its all about.

I have learned a BIG lesson since I have been here...well actually a couple lesons. One, as a missionary you have to be REALLY good at improvising HAHA! And two...this really is the true Gospel of Jesus Christ! I walk around all day long telling people that this is the true Gospel of Jesus Christ, that they can be with their families for eternity and that they can be baptized and cleansed from sin...but why? To some those are just words...but for me and for all missionaries and members of this church...those are more than just words. That is happiness, that is joy, that is peace and most importantly...that is our savior Jesus Christ. He has provided the way for us to be baptized, to become sealed to our families for all eternity. He has provided this Gospel for us, to share with people, to not just SAY that this is the true Gospel of Jesus Christ, but to testify, to speak from our hearts and help people feel, not just hear what we have to say. I KNOW with all my heart that this Gospel is true. I witnessed a whole family be baptized and confirmed this weekend and they all literally glowed with the light of christ. I am privileged to be a missionary. It is hard to be gone from my family, but all I have to say is that it is totally worth it!

I love you all so much. I am so grateful for your love and support. I hope this week is one of your best ones yet. I have every intention to make it mine!

Love,
Hermana Dickey

No comments:

Post a Comment