Nicaragua Managua North Mission
January 2015 ~ June 2016

Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Latina or Americana???


Drum roll please.....Hermana Dickey is indeed training an Americana!!! Heavenly Father really does answer prayers! My new companions name is Hermana Nicholls and she is from Tuscan Arizona. She currently has one whole week in the mission down and has not broken down one time! She is one tough cookie because this week we walked A LOT! I am so glad to be able to speak a little more english and it is way easier training someone who speaks your native language! She has had her first plate of Gallopinto and is getting used to the cold showers every morning. Haha! Her Spanish is pretty good and she is learning more and more everday! I understand how she feels though becuase when I first started I did not understand a word that anyone said to me. Everytime we go to someones house and the people start talking to her...her eyes just get really big and she looks at me so I can translate for her. It's so funny because I did the exact same thing to my trainer! She always tells me how bad she feels that I have to translate everything for her, but I just tell her not to worry about it because one day you will understand the language and speak it without it realizing it! That has happened to me just within the last 6 weeks with Hermana Ramos. Even though she was a tough companion, speaking spanish all day everday really helped me.

This past week was probably one of my greatest weeks and I know we worked hard because I had never been so excited to see my bed in my whole life until last week! We had a really great experience with an investigtor named Marlena and her sister Lea just a few days ago. We showed up at Marlenas house on Thursday and we had planned to teach her the first couple of principles of Lesson 2 (The Plan of Salvation). She invited us in to her house and her sister ended up being there too. We started with a hymn and a prayer like always and then started at the beginning of the lesson. I got about halfway through the first principle in the lesson and I could not feel the spirit at all. I could feel that Marlena and her sister Lea were bored and something just wasn´t working. I gave my comp a few minutes to share her testimony of how Christ knows us personally and as she did I just said a little prayer in my heart asking heavenly father to help us...to help us feel the spirit. Immidiately I felt that we needed to invite them to be baptized. So my comp finished her testimony and I shifted the lesson into baptism and shared some scriptures in 2 Nefi 31. Immidiately the spirit was there and they asked questions and shared thier thoughts, answers and scriptures just started coming to my mind. I felt prompted to also share our experience of how we found Marlena with her. One day we were walking down the street contacting doors and talking to people in the street. We were not having much success and it was starting to get really frustrating. We came to another street that we had contacted a billion times, but decided to contact again. I told Hermana Ramos (my old comp) before we started down that street that we should pray and ask for giudance....to be guided to someone who is prepared. So right there in the middle of the dirt road in the pouring we prayed. We continued down the street passing house after house not feeling anything. We arrived at the second to last house on the street and both of us at the same time said "That one"! I shared that story with Marlena and Lea and they both had tears streaming down thier faces. I told them It was no coincindence that we felt prompted to talk to her. She responded and told me that she had a really bad perspective of Mormons before we showed up to her door step. She said she felt something with us that she had nevre felt before and liked how it felt. I explained to her that was the Spirit of God testifying to her that the things we are teaching are true and that she can have that feeling forever when she is baptized by water and the spirit. Marlena and her sister both accepted the invitation to be baptized and are really working hard to prepare. This is just a true testimony to me that only the spirit converts people. When we showed up to their house my lesson plan was totally different than what ended up happening. I know when we are obidient and have the desire to work hard and to bring others unto Christ...The Lord will bless us in many ways.

I love this Gospel and I Absolutely love being a missionary! I would not change where I am at in my life EVER! Yes it is tough sometimes...but no one ever said it was easy! Sometimes you have to pass through the tough times to get to the good ones! I know that is true because I have experienced it! Hermana Nicholls and I are going to continue to work hard and this week and see many many more miracles! I hope you are all having a great summer and still not having to much fun without me! Stay safe...La Lucha es real!

Hermana Dickey

No comments:

Post a Comment